- Search and apply for apprenticeships in England on GOV.UK
- Watch a YouTube video on how to apply for an apprenticeship
Who can do an apprenticeship?
Anyone who is over 16 and not in full time education. Some apprenticeships may have entry requirements, for example good grades in maths, science and English.
What can I do an apprenticeship in?
There are now more than 200 types of apprenticeships across many sectors. Apprenticeships are not just about learning traditional trades like plumbing or hairdressing. There are apprenticeships in all types of work including areas like IT, business and finance and care work, with new roles being created all the time.
What qualifications do I need to apply?
The entry requirements for apprenticeships can differ based on the opportunities available and the industry sector. To be successful you will need to show employers that you are responsible and committed to your job, and can work well as part of a team or by yourself.
How much will I get paid?
The minimum pay for apprentices is £3.70 an hour. Many apprentices get paid more.
How many hours will I be doing per week?
Most apprenticeships will be for at least 30 hours a week. Some may be shorter, but will be more than 16 hours a week.
What are the different levels of apprenticeships?
- Intermediate level apprenticeships - lead to qualification at Level 2 and functional skills.
- Advanced level apprenticeships - lead to qualification at Level 3, functional skills and in most cases a BTEC or other similar level 3 qualification.
- Higher level apprenticeships - lead to qualification such as an NVQ Level 4, and in some cases a foundation degree.
- Degree level apprenticeships - lead to a Degree qualification.
How do I find and apply for an apprenticeship?
- You can use the GOV.UK website search link above for current local apprenticeship vacancies. Registration is required for you to apply.
- We also run regular apprenticeship recruitment events to help you apply for posts more successfully.
- You can download the Apprenticeship search app on to your smartphone to search for apprenticeship vacancies.
- Staff at your local Connexions centre or careers advisers in school can help you register and apply for vacancies.
Don’t forget apprenticeships are very popular, so start applying early. If you are in Year 11, you can apply to some apprenticeship training providers on UCAS Progress.
What training is available to apprentices?
The training apprentices go through will have been worked out with the employer. This means that the skills and experience developed will be matched to the job and apprentices will be able to carry out their work to a high standard.
Where will I train?
As an employee most of your training will take place on the job and the rest will be provided at a local college or another training organisation. Your employer will provide time away from your job so you can complete this training either on day release or over a block of days. How much time you spend training away from your job will vary depending on your apprenticeship.
Where can I get one-to-one support to get ready to do an apprenticeship?
You can find out about recruitment processes and entry requirements for apprenticeship opportunities with our Pre-Employment Support service at
Futures, 80-82 Charles Street, Leicester LE1 1FB
Drop-in any time from 9.00am to 4.00pm, Monday to Friday
You can talk to a careers advisor to get a better understanding of what employers are looking for and how you can apply to those apprenticeships.
Who else can help?
These are agencies that might help you either with apprenticeship advice or in a wider search for work
National Careers Service
The National Careers Service offers advice on all stages of your search for work.
Connexions supports young people with career decision-making and also works to support young people in Leicester who are not in education, employment or training (NEET).
Jobcentre Plus provides services to those attempting to find employment. Jobseekers can search for employment on their Find a Job website. Employers can upload and manage their own vacancies while searching for prospective employees.